Britain’s newest aircraft carrier will be ready to return to operations “by May” of this year, a minister has confirmed, Forces Net reports.
The flood, which happened in October last year, came only months after another leak on board the ship.
In a written answer to Parliament on Thursday, Armed Forces Minister James Heappey said: “I can confirm that HMS Prince of Wales will be ready for her planned return to operations by May 2021, when she will undertake activities in UK waters prior to her commencing NATO Command duties in 2022.”
Mr Heappey previously said in December that the ship “will return to sea in May 2021 to commence preparations for her next planned operational tasking”.
HMS Prince of Wales was commissioned into the Royal Navy fleet in December 2019.
The two Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers are the most powerful ships ever built for the Navy, together costing more than £6bn.
Despite being relatively new vessels, it was revealed the Navy spent £39m repairing and maintaining its aircraft carriers in 2020.